………….A Brief, Boring Picture of Tracks I’ve Left Behind…………….
Wife: Karen ♥ (m. 1972)
Kids: 4 of them, grown & away
- Wheaton College (BA psychology, 1963)
- Michigan State Univ. (MAT general science, 1968)
- Western Michigan Univ. (PhD science education, 1972)
- one year grad. study at Denver Seminary
A Pillar of Pepper (poetry)
The Burgomaster’s Rain (short fantasy)
Earth Is Not Alone (a novel; Ephemeron Press, 2009)
The Blood of Three Worlds (a novel; Ephemeron Press, 2019)
Science: Understanding Your Environment (Silver Burdett science texts, 1970s-early 1980s); After Supper Science (weekly science column for two regional newspapers, late 1970s); science articles for Cricket, Wee Wisdom, Science and Children, The Science Teacher, School Science and Mathematics, and other science and education journals, etc. Wrote science exams for ACT tests. (Once Ienjoyed padding this—no more!)
- Founder and editor-in-chief of The Westigan Review of Poetry (8 yrs. 1970s).
- Department editor (general science) for School Science and Mathematics (8 yrs. 1970s)
- C.S. Lewis Gold Medal (1st of 100 books, for P of P, above, 1983)
- One of 10 finalists for C.S. Lewis Gold Medal (for TBR, above, 1990)
- Winner of the 2019 Alumni Achievement Award of the Mallinson Institute for Science Education (MISE) at Western Michigan University
Permanent NY state certification for grades N – 6; for grades 7-12 in chemistry, biology, physics, earth science, general science, and psychology (but not English!)
- U. S. Peace Corps in Liberia, West Africa 1963-64 (science, math, English)
- Louisa County High School (Mineral, VA, 1965-67, chemistry, science)
- State Univ. of New York (SUNY) at Oswego 1972-1999. For the first three years as asst. prof. taught in the lab school, ed. Dept., and did administrative work; for the last 25 or so years I was an Assoc. Prof., then tenured Full Prof. of English. (primary course responsibilities: Children’s lit., Ancient & Medieval Lit., creative writing, freshman comp.) Part-time 2000-2003.
Writing, teaching, lecturing (occasionally) on creation/evolution issues, continuing my Soo Bahk Do karate, volunteer work, irritating my patient, loving wife ♥, annoying my kids and grandkids, and other stuff. [No regrets]